General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Violence in the northeast of Nigeria has caused massive displacement and at the same time restricted movement. It has disrupted food supplies, seriously hindered access to basic services, and limited agricultural activities. Since February 2016, as humanitarian access is increasing, extreme food insecurity and malnutrition conditions have been revealed in Borno state.
As of 3rd August, 1.82 million people are estimated to be displaced within/from of Borno state, 1.63 million of them actually stayed within the state. Most of them (more than 1.2m) are living in Maiduguri with the host community and others in formal and informal camps.
MdM has started since October 2016 an emergency response to this crisis, in the Borno state. In 2018, MdM strategy in Borno state focuses on improving access to:
1. Free comprehensive primary healthcare services
2. Quality nutrition treatment for malnourished children
3. Mental health and psychosocial support
4. Lifesaving medical care, holistic referral services for survivors of gender based violence
Description du poste
Under the responsibility of the desk officer based in Paris, you are in charge of designing and supervising the implementation of MdM’s operational strategy in Nigeria. Your are responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management and developing a motivated and professional team.
• Provide guidance and support to the different departments
• Coordinate the negotiations of the Memorandum of Understanding and of other agreements with the implemented partners / local and national authorities (MoH etc.)
• Ensure a smooth partnership with partners: regular meetings, exchange of information, development of common strategies, establishment of bridges and common activities...
• Ensure that adequate means are available for the smooth running of the programs – logistical, administrative, financial, HR...
• Ensure the respect of MdM internal rules and of MdM obligations
• Responsible of the carrying out of the contract of objectives defined with donors and the respect of contractual obligations
• Contribute to the yearly budget framework and its revision and justify the budget consumption and anticipate any needs of budget amendments
• Ensure global adherence to the general strategy for the Nigeria response and provide guidance to the team
• Participate in the definition of the operational plans and ensure the coordination of its implementation and the supervision of the activities in a timely manner and in the respect of MdM ethics, principles and MdM commitments.
• Report regularly and share information with the desk officer through biweekly sitreps
• Monitor regularly the humanitarian situation in Nigeria in collaboration with the coordination team and, in case of substantial changes, propose and discuss new actions with the team and the desk officer, including the management of needs assessments or the implementation of new activities.
• In close coordination with the different coordinators, define the general organisation of the mission and the organisation chart and propose changes in the structure
• Ensure briefing and follow-up of teams in Nigeria, including security and programme briefings for new arrivals
• Ensure good information flow and maintain proper communication between the different departments of the coordination team through regular team meetings
• Support the team in the daily management of the programme
• Participate in the regular evaluations of the staff, and if necessary take appropriate measures with the administrative coordinator
• Ensure regular interaction, information sharing and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in Nigeria (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs), and in particular with the medical organisations with similar programmes.
• Represent MdM with local authorities and ensure regular communication with stakeholders
• Undertake pro-active donor prospection and propose alternative sources of funding for discussion with the HQ
• Establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
• Monitor the security situation, in collaboration with the logistics coordinator
• Analyze and anticipate the security evolutions
• Inform the Desk officer and the rest of the team on any security incident or dangerous development in the country
• Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team in Nigeria
• Propose and enforce new rules or procedures, in reaction to security incidents or to changes in context, in collaboration with the logistics coordinator
• Manage and report on any security incident affecting MdM staff and assets
• Ensure that the level of visibility and the public messages on the MdM program are in line with the association positioning in the country
• Be the spokesperson for MdM in Nigeria with local and international media, in coordination with the HQ
• Act as focal point for communication and advocacy activities, in collaboration with the desk officer
Starting date : by mid-March 2019
Gross monthly salary : 3313 euro
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (after 6 months)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility