General coordinator (head of mission) - (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM France has launched a quick assessment in Bangladesh in December 2016 to explore the humanitarian situation in the country. MdM validated then a gradual intervention in Bangladesh through local partners and the MdM mission in Bangladesh opened in February 2017.
From August 2017, a massive wave of population fleeing violence in the Rakhine state in Myanmar crossed the border to find refuge in Cox’s Bazar district in Bangladesh. This unprecedented situation created an emergency humanitarian situation.
After nearly 3 years of emergency activities in Cox’s bazar, MdM has now entered in a new phase and aims at strengthening its response at qualitative level and to become a recognized actor on Gender Based Violence (GBV) and Mental Health and PsychoSocial Support (MHPSS) through technical support to all non-governmental organizations (national and international) implementing healthcare services in refugee camps, for both host communities and displaced populations.
In coordination with relevant national and local authorities, institutional donors and local partners, MdM now wishes to strengthen and develop its operations in the field of migration, health and human rights, crises and emergencies, and mental health and psychosocial support.
Description du poste
Under the direct supervision of the desk officer based in Paris, you supervise and coordinate programs implemented by MdM France in Bangladesh in the respect of people and goods’ safety, and in order to guarantee the program’s relevance and its compliance with the predefined objectives.
You are responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team. In this specific context, you also have a strong additional focus on overseeing the external bureaucracy and administrative relationships of the mission.
You directly manage 3 expatriate positions and indirectly manage all staff in-country.
You also work closely with the MdM Japan and Switzerland general coordinator’s, also based in Bangladesh and also all advisors based in Paris.
Your main responsibilities are:
Management of operations
• Be responsible for planning the MdM programs, in country strategy, supervising program implementation and monitoring and evaluation system
• Be responsible for the administrative arrangements of the mission and for securing and developing current partnerships
• Supervise the implementation of all MdM activities in Bangladesh
• Continue analysing and assessing the humanitarian situation of migrants in and out of Bangladesh
• Ensure that the different components of the program are consistent and in link with medical needs and standards
• Identify donors and raise funds for the mission
• Be responsible for proposing and designing the modification of proposals and potential extension of the project
• Ensure operational compliance with MdM and donor policies and projects objectives
• Guarantee that the accomplishment of project objectives defined by the donors is fulfilled and that contractual obligations are respected
• Design MdM annual budgets and revised budgets
• Ensure MdM and donor financial and administrative compliance in the budgetary follow-up
• Be responsible for active funding research at field level
• Supervise the financial system in order to ensure that the organization finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner
• Take part in the development of the project budget together with the Headquarters (HQs) in Paris and in the budget’s distribution per heading and in the construction of the annual and revised budgetary frame
• Manage the financial and cash flow processes between HQs and the Bangladesh mission
HR and team management
• Manage and supervise the expatriate and national team
• Be in charge of the quality of the human resources and the working conditions of the entire mission (working contracts, salaries and wage policies, internal regulation, job description for the staff,…)
• Define collective and individual objectives and goals for coordination team
• Ensure briefings of any new expatriates / visitors arriving on the mission about the mission’s general organisation, its objectives, the context and the mission’s functioning and security rules
Partnership and advocacy
• Be responsible for exploring, designing and establishing partnership relations, direct support in supervising the ongoing partnerships
• Be responsible of the partnership set up between MdM France and MdM Japan and Switzerland
• Participate in identifying the advocacy goals in country
• Be responsible for the security and safety of people and property for the mission supervision and organisation of the implementation of safety rules and for ensuring that rules are applied
• Review regularly the analysis of the context and of security & safety conditions
• Ensure security incidents are reported to HQ in a timely manner
Coordination with stakeholders
• Participate in the different coordination meetings and clusters
• Carry out negotiations and maintain regular relations with the local authorities and other stakeholders (NGOs, donors, embassies)
• Negotiate agreements, work connections, MoUs etc. with the local authorities and the eventual modifications
• Draft and ratify reports required by the authorities at national level
• Ensure coordination with national and international health stakeholders, UN bodies and medical actors
• Participate proactively among regional MdM projects and common goals
Reporting and donor relations
• Ensure submission of appropriate, timely high quality proposals and participate in required donor negotiations in country
• Maintain professional relationship with donor and ensure visibility
• Send monthly reports to HQ
• Be responsible for communication with HQ
• Be responsible for the quality of the reports on activities and ensure compliance with procedures for the exchange of information and reporting
• Alert HQ in case of particular problems in Bangladesh
• Supervise the organisation of visits to the field for representatives of the head office and ensure their management (reception, introduction to different people involved…)
• Facilitate media activities in coordination with HQ
Starting date: as soon as possible
Duration: until the end of June 2021
Gross monthly salary: 3 074 euros
Based in Cox’s Bazar with field trips to Dhakka
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
Tuition/Schooling allowance (from 6 years old)
Living allowance (per diem) for the accompanying member if unemployed and half per diem per child
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility