Field coordinator Kachin (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been operating in Myanmar since 1994. Its main programme delivers comprehensive Harm Reduction and HIV/AIDS prevention and care, focusing on the high-risk groups of drug users (Kachin State), female sex workers and men having sex with men (Yangon area).
Myanmar mission strategy for 2020 to 2022 aims at “increasing the access to harm reduction services (especially drug users and sex workers) by addressing health, social, legal and normative barriers though a community-led approach and partnership”.
In order to implement this strategy, MdM is focusing on increasing access to HIV/VHC prevention and care services, in Yangon and Kachin, targeting most-at-risk groups, proposing a wide range of activities such as Needle and Syringe Exchange Program (NSEP), condom distribution and promotion, HIV testing and counselling, hepatitis B testing and vaccination, hepatitis C virus screening and treatment (in partnership with MSF-CH), enrolment of HIV positive clients into ART care, sexually transmitted infections and tuberculosis screening and treatment services, methadone maintenance treatment, isoniazid preventive therapy and targeted information, education and communication, community based overdose prevention and management and gender sensitive services. Current and future strategy is focusing as well on supporting local civil society and health system in scaling up and provision of health services.
MdM strategy is implemented in collaboration with the National Program and local authorities under the authority of the Ministry of Health and Sports. The activities are funded by the Global Fund (GF), Usaid , CDC and the Agence Française de Développement (AFD).
In Kachin, where the field coordinator is located, the activities are implemented in 3 main sites (Myitkyina, Moegaung, Hopin).
Description du poste
Under the direct supervision of the general coordinator, you are responsible for the implementation of MdM strategy in Kachin state and for coordinating and ensuring smooth implementation of program activities. You ensure that MdM Kachin projects adhere to logistics, human resources, administration and security procedures.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
- Be in charge of the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of MdM program in Kachin State
- Supervise the overall implementation against contracted outputs and outcomes and ensure that MdM and donor audits recommendations are carefully followed and implemented
- Ensure the compliance of the program activities with MdM strategy, principles and guidelines, in collaboration with the coordination team
- Ensure good coordination between the logistics, administrative and program departments in Kachin
- Play an active role in the MdM Myanmar strategy and program design, in implementing management procedures and decisions and in relaying national coordination decisions and information to Kachin team
Human resources, logistics and team management
- Line manage the support services manager who receives technical support from the HR/finance and logistics coordinators in Yangon to ensure compliance with donor procedures and the national administrative and legal regulations
- Define the general organisation of the intervention sites and teams, manage and supervise the Kachin program team
- Guarantee smooth communication between team members and ensure that all staff benefit from clear and measurable objectives and development plans
- Ensure the appraisal of your direct team
- Ensure the procurement processes in Kachin in compliance with donor and MdM regulations
- Ensure that all program items are properly handled at the end of the program whether through donations or transfer
- Be responsible for managing overall budgets
- Approve expected expenses based on donor procedures and MdM internal guidelines
- In collaboration with senior team members, develop the new budget proposals for donors, prepare annual budgets and ensure monthly budget follow-up
- Oversee compliance with agreements and contracts, and transparency of fund use in programmatic expenditure
Representation and partnerships
- Carry out frequent representation activities to build and maintain a supportive environment for MdM programs in Kachin, in close collaboration with the national initiatives piloted from Yangon
- Represent MdM with local donors and organise donor visits in Kachin
- Ensure a quality partnership with relevant organizations engaged in harm reduction activities and local authorities
Safety and security management
- Be responsible for the safety and security of MdM team members, sites and goods
- Be responsible for ensuring the safety and wellbeing of MdM teams in a context where staff involved in harm reduction activities can be subject to harassment by local authorities
- Regularly conduct analysis of the context and security conditions, shape and adapt safety and security rules with the approval of the general coordinator
- Ensure the implementation of security rules and procedures, including providing briefings about safety and security when required
Reporting and communication
- Be responsible for regular reporting on activities to your line manager
- Supervise the drafting of donor reports and of narrative, financial, intermediary and final reports
- Relay relevant information between Myanmar coordination team and Kachin teams
Starting date: as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary: 3088 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility