General coordinator (head of mission) (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
In Asia, the crisis around the welcoming of the Rohingyas is a chronic regional crisis, both in transit and destination countries with still active migratory flows.
Considering its current presence in Myanmar and Bangladesh, MdM has decided to further develop a multi-country programme towards refugees, asylum-seekers and migrants in the region. Therefore, an exploratory mission has been conducted in Malaysia in March 2020 by a team composed of MdM advisors and key Malaysian stakeholders. The fact findings confirmed the added value for MdM to intervene through local partnerships with Malaysian organisations present in the field.
Following the mission opening in Malaysia in January 2021, MdM has developed a cross-sectoral approach on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) and mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) to address unmet needs for refugees and migrants in Malaysia.
MdM will start to implement its first project by September 2021 on access to quality healthcare services towards refugees and asylum-seekers in Malaysia.
Description du poste
Under the supervision of the desk manager, you ensure the quality of the project implementation according to the needs and objectives. You lead and manage the teams, further develop the stakeholders’ network and the partnerships, and liaise with the relevant bodies to ensure that MdM complies with the local regulations at all times.
Strategy and coordination
- Coordinate the country strategy revision and update on a yearly basis
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate the country programs
- Ensure the compliance of all implemented activities and programs with MdM strategy
- Ensure good coordination between logistics, administration (finance and HR) and program departments
- Explore, establish and maintain partnership relations and collaboration with civil society and local authorities and maintain strong relationships and close collaboration with implementing partners
- Participate in advocacy strategy and implementation
- Ensure the development and the execution of the country strategy
- Take the lead in defining the operational and advocacy strategy together with the coordination team and the desk manager
- Ensure that the mission's organisation chart and allocation of human resources matches with the mission needs
- Ensure that appropriate human resources and legal obligations and administrative, financial and logistics procedures are implemented and maintained in accordance with MdM rules and guidelines
- Liaise regularly with partners
- Ensure adequate means are available for the smooth running of the programs
- Oversee the budget forecast, the expenditures level and the budget revision
- Ensure compliance with tax regulations and yearly audit recommendations if needed
- Undertake the small-scale logistics component with the support of the finance officer and the HQ logistics advisor
Representation, networking, fundraising
- Undertake pro-active donor prospection to mobilise resources in close collaboration with HQ
- Implement the fundraising strategy and explore funding opportunities especially on institutional donors and the private sector in Malaysia
- Contribute to writing project proposals to submit to donors and raise funds
- Represent MdM-France with authorities (ministries, institutions etc.) at a policy and decision-making level
- Represent MdM-France in dealing with other NGOs, the inter-NGO coordinating body, and other coordinating committees, especially in the health sector
Reporting and communication
- Report regularly and share information with the desk, the board delegate (RM) and the pool groups
- Internal communication: centralise information coming from both field and HQ and ensure smooth flow of communication, continuous upstream flow/exchange of information, monthly reports, etc.
- External communication: ensure implementation of the communication as defined in collaboration with the desk officer and the RM
Safety and security
- Conduct regular analysis of the context
- Update the security plan when required
- Ensure that the Covid-19 protocol is in place and revise it when needed
Starting date: 01/12/2021
Gross monthly salary: 3089 euros
Based in Kuala Lumpur
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
Tuition/Schooling allowance (from 6 years old)
Living allowance (per diem) for the accompanying member if unemployed and half per diem per child
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility