Field coordinator (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM-F has been operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response in various regions (Somali, Afar…).
In response to the Tigray crisis, MdM has sent a fact-finding mission with a view to setting-up an emergency program by late April / early May.
Currently, more than 140,000 people have been displaced from western Tigray to Shire and Adwa, bringing the cumulative number of displaced people in Tigray to more than 730,000. The lack of humanitarian access due to insecurity and bureaucratic obstacles have prevented aid workers from providing life-saving assistance to people affected by the conflict. Although the full impact of the fighting on the humanitarian situation is still unclear, humanitarians on the ground are reporting increasing hunger, a dire deterioration on malnutrition, and an urgent need to increase access to water, hygiene, sanitation, health, shelter and protection services in most parts of Tigray.
The security situation in Tigray remains volatile and unpredictable, with reports of ongoing clashes in many parts of the region. Violence against civilians, including killings, abductions, force returns of refugees and internally displaced people, and sexual and gender-based violence continue to be reported across Tigray.
Description du poste
Under the supervision of the general coordinator in Addis Ababa, you are in charge of leading the programmatic efforts in Tigray, Ethiopia.
Your main responsibilities are:
• Ensure continuous strategic analysis of the security and humanitarian context in Tigray
• Be responsible for the safety of the staff, the mission assets and monitor humanitarian access constraints
• Represent MdM and liaise with regional authorities in Mekelle, UN and NGOs at field and regional level
• Take over from the fact-finding mission to set up the base in Mekelle or other relevant locations in Tigray region depending on the recommendations made by the fact-finding mission
• Be accountable for efficient launching of the emergency intervention: oversee the logistical, administrative and financial components of the base for the purpose of programme implementation and ensure compliance with the relevant procedures
• Supervise all the teams in the base, composed of national and international staff
• Provide regular updates and reports to country office in Addis Ababa and ensure good internal communication practices
Starting date on 15/05/2021
Gross monthly salary 3 073 euros
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility