Deputy general coordinator in charge of programs (M/F)
Deputy general coordinator in charge of programs (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been operating in Myanmar since 1994. Its main program delivers comprehensive harm reduction and HIV/AIDS prevention and care, focusing on the high-risk groups of drug users (Kachin State), female sex workers and men having sex with men (Yangon area). In addition, MdM is implementing, in partnership with a local NGO a community-led harm reduction program in Kachin.
Description du poste
Under the supervision of the general coordinator you are in charge of programs and responsible of ensuring effective program coordination, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, quality and accountability. You provide regular technical support and guidance to field teams in the overall operation plan implementation. You actively contribute to new strategic development and will propose new opportunities that respond to the identified needs.
You represent MdM towards institutional partners and will be acting as general coordinator during general coordinator’s absence.
You manage directly 1 medical coordinator, 1 M&E coordinator, 1 harm reduction advisor and you have strong functional links with the 2 field coordinators in Yangon and in Kachin in the follow up of program implementation.
Your main responsibilities are:
Program implementation & development
- Provide support in program coordination to ensure consistent quality
- Support field coordinators and their teams in their planning and supervision role working together to set strategies, monitor and report achievements and coordinate between sites
- Assist coordinators in problems identification and mitigation as well as development of relevant implementation strategies to increase program reach and outcomes
- Support coordinators and managers to oversee performance of projects and partners
- Ensure that technical departments provide adequate support to program implementation, review and further strategic development
- Conduct frequent field visits to all project sites to support monitoring, quality control and program staff mentoring and coaching whenever necessary
- Ensure that the monitoring and evaluation systems inform program management decisions and strategic planning
- Play an active role in designing the MdM Myanmar strategy and program objectives
- Support assessment of partnership opportunities, ensuring they can meet MdM strategic and compliance requirements
Program monitoring & evaluation
- Ensure that strong M&E, quality data collection and analysis systems are in place, adhered to and used as a decision-making tool, encouraging consistency across programs
- Oversee the M&E department ensuring that sufficient support is provided to programs in the development, implementation and review of relevant MEAL systems
- Work closely with the project teams to develop program quality benchmarks and adequate dedicated M&E plans
- Oversee the medical department for sufficient technical support to be provided to field teams to achieve program’s strategies and objectives in line with MdM and donors’ requirements
- Ensure that program teams are provided with necessary information and capacity building to meet expected achievements
- Develop accountability and learning processes across the country program
Coordination & representation
- Represent MdM, in close coordination with the general coordinator, at country level toward government authorities, NGOs, UN agencies, and other external actors
- Participate to regular coordination meetings held at national level
- Support internal and external field visits as necessary
- Participate actively to regular country level internal coordination meetings supporting development and implementation of effective follow up mechanisms
- Support overall advocacy initiatives as laid in MdM country level advocacy plan
- Manage and supervise 2 departments (Medical and M&E) ensuring that all line managed staff have clear individual objectives, work streams, delegation of tasks and regular appraisals
- Manage and supervise the harm reduction advisor to have a close follow-up of the implemented actions and progress
- Manage appropriate coordination and communication within the line managed team and with other departments
- Maintain and foster close functional links with the field coordinators and other mission level coordinators and relevant managers
- Support field coordinators in their program management, capacity building, and team organization
- Take part in recruitment and evaluation of relevant staff
- Evaluate staff capacity building needs and propose subsequent training plans
- Provide orientations and trainings to MdM collaborators
Reporting & communication
- Responsible for regular reporting on the mission programs activities
- Ensure that all Myanmar technical and programs staff submit quality programs reports in a timely manner
- Support donor reports making sure they are written in line with donor requirements
- Provide proper and regular inputs to both field and coordination teams for guidance on operational and strategic project orientation
- Liaise with Paris HQ counterparts as necessary to ensure adequate information flow between field and HO
- Relay relevant information from HQ to Myanmar teams, organize consultations and provides feedback whenever required
- Support the general coordinator in managing media relationships for the overall mission
- Work closely with the country team's security focal point to ensure that programs are contributing to and responding to safety and security plans and procedures. Act as country level security focal point in the absence of the general coordinator
Starting date: 05/10/2020
Gross monthly salary: 3 073 euros
Based in Yangon with regular field trips to programs areas
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility