General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM strategy in Palestine is constructed on 2 of MDM France’s thematic pillars worldwide: conflict and emergencies and sexual & reproductive health (SRH) with MHPSS as a crosscutting theme to all activities and with a transversal advocacy component.
In SRH: MdM started its work in SRHR with an intervention consisting in facilitating access to SRH services, especially Family Planning and Post Abortion Care working with the Communities, Service Providers (Ministry of Health and local partners) through awareness and capacity building and advocating towards decision makers to promote SRH services. In this moment, MdM is implementing an AFD/UNICEF funded SRHR project in Gaza.
In Crises and Emergencies: MdM is implementing a WHO/ECHO funded project in Gaza working in 5 main hospitals to develop their Emergency response capacity. It is also implementing a German-funded project in both Gaza and West Bank with different objectives ranging from MHPSS Emergency response to:
- Community level: includes training of volunteers in BLS and in MHPSS emergency response, emergency MHPSS support to victims of critical events linked to the occupation, reinforcing the capacities of School counsellors in emergency MHPSS, strengthening capacities of local partners in provision of MHPSS services
- Primary Health Care: Reinforcement of the capacities of the Emergency rooms of 11 PHC in Gaza. It is part of the strategy to develop an intervention on integration of Mental Health in PHC
- Secondary Level: Reinforcement of the capacities of the Emergency Departments of 6 hospitals in Gaza
In MHPSS although a crosscutting theme, MdM has recently started a BMZ-funded 3-year recovery/development project aimed at integrating MHPSS into the primary healthcare centers.
All projects also have a strong GBV and inclusivity component.
MDM Palestine has one office in Gaza, one in the West Bank (Nablus) and a coordination office in East Jerusalem.
Description du poste
Under the direct supervision of the desk officer (based in Paris) and refering to the volunteer head of mission (RM in its French acronym), you will be responsible for the overall management of the MdM Palestine mission. You will co-design MdM overall strategy in the occupied Palestinian territory and provide leadership for the country program.
You will manage an administrative and logisctics coordinator, a medical coordinator, an advocacy coordinator and two field coordinators. The coordination team is composed by expatriate and national staffs. The mission counts in total 54 staff.
Your main responsibilities are to :
- Coordinate the country strategy revision on a yearly basis after consultation with the team, the desk officer and the RM
- Lead the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of country programs
- Ensure the compliance of all implemented activities and programs with MdM strategy, principles and guidelines
- Supervise all MdM operations in Palestine: field visits, oversee work of teams, regularly evaluate progress of programs in relation to planning and smooth running of activities
- Support the field coordinators for the daily implementation of the projects
- Ensure good coordination between logistics, administrative (finance and human resources) and programme departments
- Coordinate with HQ referent and support resources to ensure the qualitative program implementation
- Explore, establish and maintain partnership relations and collaboration with local authorities
- Participate in advocacy strategy and supervise the implementation of the advocacy action plan in relation with the desk officer and the advocacy coordinator
- Promote sustainability in MdM intervention and transfer to local partners
Team management and human resources
- Manage directly all the coordinators
- Lead the country coordination team, and as such, play a leading role in the implementation of management procedures and decisions
- Revise the organigramme and job descriptions of the mission based on program needs with coordination and manager teams
- Manage and support the coordination team, evaluate the coordination staff under your direct supervision, propose training upon needs and resolve team conflicts
- Brief new expats upon their arrival, oversee the smooth running of missions, ensure application and observance of internal regulations governing missions and of humanitarian code of ethics
- Ensure consistency with Palestine labour laws in all HR issues including staff dismissal
Safety and security
- Be responsible for the overall safety and security of MdM teams, sites and assets in Palestine and Israel
- Exchange on a regular basis with the desk officer, the security officer in HQ and and the "RM” regarding the possible evolutions of the regional context and the analysis of this evolution
- Conduct regular analysis of the context and security conditions, with a view to shape and adapt safety and security rules and communicate with HQ any significant event
- Ensure the implementation of security rules and procedures, including providing briefings about safety and security when required
Administrative, finance and logistics supervision
- Guarantee transparency of fund use and all programmatic expenditure
- Give approval for expenses, based on donor procedures and MdM internal guidelines
- Participate in the design and approval of new budget proposals for donors, preparation of annual budgets and monthly budget follow up analysis
- Oversee compliance with and respect for agreements and contracts
- Ensure compliance with tax regulations and yearly audit recommendations if any
- Ensure that appropriate logistics procedures are maintained in accordance with MdM rules and donor guidelines
Reporting and communication
- Lead preparation of reports and proposals for donors and make sure that they are written in line with donor requirements
- Report regularly to HQ (context analysis through monthly written co-ordination reports (SITREP), incident reports)
- Liaise with the desk officer, RM and technical/thematic referent for regular updates regarding the mission to HQ team
- Ensure implementation of the communication and testimony policy as defined in collaboration with the “RM”, the desk officer and specialized departments in HQ and the advocacy coordinator
- Be able to respond to media requests in the field, in link with the communication department
Representation, fundraising and networking
- Develop a fundraising strategy and explore funding opportunities in country and networking with donors
- Represent MdM to local authorities, international donors, international organisations, consulates and other NGOs
- Carry out negotiations with the authorities at different levels and other stakeholders to ensure compliance with agreements and contracts
- Represent MdM with Palestinian authorities (Ministries, Institutions etc.) at a policy and decision-making level
- Represent MdM in dealing with other NGOs, the inter-NGO coordinating body, AIDA, and its Humanitarian Steering Committee and other coordinating committees
- Represent MdM towards the Israeli military authorities
- Represent and coordinate MdM towards the various MdM chapters present in Palestine (MdM Spain and MdM Switzerland)
- Represent MdM in national and international fora if relevant
Starting date: as soon as possible
Based in Jerusalem with travels to West Bank and Gaza
Occasional work on weekends and evenings
Gross monthly salary: 3 376 euro
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
Tuition/Schooling allowance (from 6 years old)
Living allowance (per diem) for the accompanying member if unemployed and half per diem per child
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility