Field coordinator (M/F)
Field coordinator (M/F)
For almost 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Iraq since the 1990s. During its first mission in the country, MdM was providing general and specialized medical services (surgery, training programs for traditional birth attendants). Since then MdM had several programs which included paediatric surgery, contributing to the renewal of techniques and knowledge of surgical, medical and paramedical staff in 1997, emergency medical activities in 2002, building local capacity on basic emergency healthcare services at community level in 2006. From 2009 to 2011, MdM supported an Iraqi NGO in the implementation of a program aimed at improving the skills of midwives and traditional birth attendants in accordance with recognized international standards.
In 2014, with the arrival of ISIL, MdM started to provide immediate healthcare support through curative and preventive care including MHPSS services to IDPs and host communities in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I). Later, MdM expanded its support to the most vulnerable IDPs and host communities outside of the KR-I region, in Kirkuk Governorate in July 2015, and in Ninewa Governorate in April 2016. Since 2018, MdM has developed a program where activities are gradually handed over to the MoH.
The current program focuses on supporting the local health authorities in providing quality PHC services (including MHPSS and GBV response) and continue to strengthen the capacities of local public health authorities in Dohuk, Kirkuk and Ninewa governorates, to provide quality care and respond to health needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
- A combination of direct and complementary services, especially related to general health, Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH), while contributing to the health system strengthening through capacity building at DOH level.
- Mental health and psycho social support (MHPSS).
- Gender based violence (GBV) integrated within the PHCC general health services, SRH and MHPSS services.
- As a cross cutting approach MdM is planning to develop a community health based (CHB) approach to ensure community participation, while empowering individuals.
Description du poste
Under the responsibility of the general coordinator, the field coordinator is responsible for the management of the base; security management in the field; the implementation of the project according the agreed donor contracts in close collaboration with the coordination team; continuous collecting information of the humanitarian and security situation, liaising and coordinating with national and international partners. He will coordinate the work with the coordination team in Erbil.
The field coordinator manages a team of 25 to 30 staff comprising 1 Program Manager, 1 Log Officer, 1 Admin Officer, and 1 Security Officer.
More specifically, the field coordinator will:
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments as well as between the base and coordination team
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base and all departments/services
- Create/maintain a “team spirit” within the different departments and amongst the staff
- Ensure good collaboration, mutualisation, coordination and analysis with other projects if needed
- Organize regular weekly team meeting particularly for the actions and budget plan
- Provide good working conditions for all team members
- Support team members under direct supervision in their duties
- Ensure regular collaboration between technical departments (medical, mental health, etc)
- Ensure management also during remote management
Safety and Security Management
- Ensure that field security plan & rules are communicated to the base staff and all visitors to the base and ensure their adherence
- Contribute to the update of the security package and annexes in support of the security officer
- Ensure data collection relative to the safety on his/her field of operations, provides analyses, and disseminates the security supervisor in Erbil and general coordinator regularly
- Alert security supervisor in Erbil and general coordinator without delay in case of impending danger of teams or beneficiaries
- Verify that the material and human resources means at his/her disposal are adequate to ensure the optimal safety of teams, materials and beneficiaries
- Ensure timely and accurate security incident reports are send to the general coordinator
- Ensure the implementation of the program in the field and its follow-up in its different aspects: monitoring of activities, logistics, administrative and financial
- Continuously assess the needs & adjust the programmes to the needs in collaboration with Erbil coordinators and according to the MdM strategy
- Participate in development of activities plans, concept note, proposals and budgets for new projects/extensions in conjunction with the relevant team, program and support staff
- Contribute and give inputs for the development and execution of MdM strategy in Iraq
- Coordinate project evaluation on the base
- Ensure familiarity with donor compliance issues, ensuring all projects are compliant with these and MdM procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM system/procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments and act as a mediator when necessary
- Ensure update and implementation of procurement plans in collaboration with the logistics coordinator
- Responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management at the project site in line with project proposals
- Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the financial coordinator and develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure at project level
Human Resources Management
- Responsible for the well-being of all team members; conduct regular team building activities
- When relevant, contribute to recruitment and selection of staff
- Responsible for disciplinary and grievance procedures, with the support of the HR coordinator
- Maintain good inter-team communications, promote good team dynamics and take suitable action when problems occur
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field and departing team members are debriefed and provide handover reports when applicable
- Ensure that all team members receive technical supports form technical coordinators where needed
- Ensure capacity building and training of national personnel
- Represent MdM to NGOs, UN agencies, local and national government bodies, donors and other relevant parties in the field and share information with the coordination team
- Ensure base staff active participation to sub cluster meeting with UN agencies, local and national government bodies and humanitarian coordination forums on a regular basis and share information with respective technical coordinators
- Build a strong relationship with all partners working in the area and develop activities in partnership with national NGOs, other local partners and relevant parties when possible
- In the event of visits from donors, participate in the organization and implementation of the visits
- Lead development of weekly, monthly and any other type of activity report with the base team
- Send the minutes of weekly base meetings to the coordination team
- Participate to monthly SITREP with the coordination team
- Contribute to project proposition & reports to donors
- Report monthly to partners and authorities on activities
- Participate to coordination meetings in Erbil
Starting date: ASAP
Gross monthly salary: 3.041 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility