Program coordinator (M/F)
Program coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Violence in the northeast of Nigeria has caused massive displacement and at the same time restricted movement. It has disrupted food supplies, seriously hindered access to basic services, and limited agricultural activities. Since February 2016, as humanitarian access is increasing, extreme food insecurity and malnutrition conditions have been revealed in Borno state.
As of 3rd August 2018, 1.82 million people are estimated to be displaced within/from Borno state, 1.63 million of them actually stayed within the state. Most of them (more than 1.2m) are living in Maiduguri with the host community and others in formal and informal camps.
MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa.
MdM has started since October 2016 an emergency response to this crisis, in the Borno state. Since 2018, MdM strategy in Borno state focuses on improving access to:
1. Free comprehensive primary healthcare services
2. Quality nutrition treatment for malnourished children
3. Mental health and psychosocial support
4. Lifesaving medical care, holistic referral services for survivors of gender based violence
In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 6 in Damboa) and support two Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacements of population as well as cholera outbreak).
Description du poste
You will be in direct charge of the implementation of MdM intervention in Borno state. You will guarantee that activities implemented through the project are in line with MdM’s strategy, policies and principles.
More specifically, your responsibilities are:
Context analysis and needs assessment/mapping in cooperation with the general coordinator
- In collaboration with the medical team, ensure a close monitoring of the humanitarian situation in Borno
- Provide monthly updates on the humanitarian situation and cross-check information shared by different sources
- Inform on a timely basis the general coordinator about any specific situation in Borno which could lead to an MdM response or adjustment of the operational approach
Coordination of the MdM program implemented in Nigeria
- Continuously assess the humanitarian situation, share propositions of needs assessments or/and propositions of adjustment of the program to the general coordinator
- In case of deterioration of the humanitarian situation (mainly linked to new displacements of population or cholera outbreak), coordinate the organization of ad hoc needs assessment as well as the deployment of the emergency response team
- In close collaboration with the general coordinator, her/his team and HQ counterparts, lead the development of the general strategy on MdM medical activities
- Make sure the different components of the program are consistent and perfectly integrated and in link with population needs
- Support the team in the identification of partners, development of healthy partnerships, as well as capacity building
- Ensure that the implementation of the program is in line with MdM commitments (contracts with donors), inform the general coordinator of any specific difficulties
- Support the pharma team for availability of quality drugs
- Ensure the implementation of the program and its follow-up in its different aspects (logistical / procurement, administrative, human ressources, finance, medical, donors)
- Ensure accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management of the program
- Monitor expenditures and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the general coordinator and develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure at project level
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different staff and departments involved in the program
- Ensure the recruitment of the team and develop a positive management
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Support team members professionally, monitor and support stress management
- Pilot the nationalization process of key staffs and develop a culture of empowerment
Monitoring and reporting
- Make sure that all needed data of the program are well collected on a monthly basis and integrated in MdM monitoring tool
- Contribute to the organization of external evaluation when requested
- Contribute to the preparation of the monthly MdM situation report
- Participate in the writing of donor’s activity reports and proposals
Meetings, coordination and representation
- Organise, on a regular basis, coordination meetings with the program team and ensure definition of clear action plans
- Actively participate in MdM coordination meetings and other ad hoc meetings decided by the general coordinator
- Make sure that MdM program team participates in relevant humanitarian coordination meetings (OCHA, clusters, pharma…)
- Proactively lead on external coordination with other health actors, (INGOs and UN agencies); actively build relations and establish information sharing channels to ensure MdM is well placed within the health response in Borno
- Make sure that communities understand MdM intervention, as well as their inclusion in the development of MdM strategy in Borno, and make sure that accountability mechanisms are in place
- Develop constructive collaboration with authorities, such as Ministry of Health and the State Emergency Management Agency
Starting date: March 2019
Position based in Maiduguri with regular field visits
Gross monthly salary: 2 984 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost (home-work), vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility