Roving emergency medical coordinator (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
The Emergency Unit oversees the organization’s global emergency preparedness and response activities. Our mission is to re-establish the continuum of care where disrupted or non-existent in the wake of a natural or manmade disaster and in the case of both forgotten and long-standing crises, where vulnerable populations can no longer access care.
The roving emergency medical coordinator is part of an emergency team that can be deployed in the field for up to 80% of the work time.
Emergency team members may be deployed to start a new intervention on a crisis setting or to support existing MdM country programmes in their emergency response or preparedness activities.
The roving emergency coordinators have the critical responsibility to assess, design and implement the response to meet the immediate health-related needs of the affected population.
They may be requested to provide specific support or training for the teams in place. The missions are diverse in terms of contexts as well as types of responsibilities.
The duration of each mission assignment is 3 months maximum.
Non-field-based activities can be up to 20% of the work time mainly based in Saint-Denis (HQ).
Description du poste
Under the responsibility of the head of the emergency unit, you are responsible for leading an emergency health response team and you work closely with the emergency health advisor at the HQ.
As part of the emergency response team, your main responsibilities are to:
- Ensure high quality and timely integrated health assessments of the humanitarian needs during the exploratory missions
- Design programme responses and strategy
- Draft technical proposals and budgets for donors
- Lead the implementation of the health emergency programme
- Identify health staffing needs for emergency programmes and ensure rapid recruitment, induction and training of new staff
- Prepare donor and management reports on grants
- Ensure consistent monitoring and analysis of results to enhance programme effectiveness and quality
- Ensure compliance with MdM policy and procedures throughout the programme team and activities
- Represent and coordinate with other agencies, local government, donors and other stakeholders
When at HQ - Emergency unit, you will also have the following responsibilities:
- Provide specific support related to emergency preparedness and response for country programme teams
- Contribute to develop technical tools and protocols for emergency operations
- Actively participate in preparedness and capacity building initiatives
- Contribute to the continuing development of the overall strategic approach in emergency health response
- Capitalize on experience and develop lessons learnt
Starting date: as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary: 3 088 euro
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Working conditions bonus depending on the time spent on the field (198.18 euros gross per month maximum)
Transportation cost (100% HQ-mission, 50 % home-HQ), vaccines and visas covered
Accommodation expenses covered in the field
Food expenses covered in the field, meal vouchers during the presence at HQ
22.5 RTT per year (recuperation days)
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility