General coordinator (head of mission) (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Yemen since 2007. MdM has a well-established functioning office in Sanaa city, a sub office in Yareem district - Ibb Governorate and a base in Aden to implement activities in Abyan and Lahj governorates.
MdM is working in partnership with the Yemeni Ministry of Public Health and Population to provide full package of primary health care services in the supported health facilities. MdM is also working with communities, through the community health volunteers and mental health volunteers. Health education (including mental health awareness) and malnutrition screening are the main components of MdM activities at community level. In addition, MdM is supporting lifesaving referral services to the secondary health care level for critical cases.
Description du poste
Under the supervision of the desk officer, you ensure the strategic leadership and direction of the Yemen mission. In particular, you develop and strengthen programmes and partnerships, you represent MdM with authorities, partners and donors and you supervise security and safety as well as the overall financial and human resources management of the mission.
You directly supervise seven coordinators and one security officer.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
Programme design and coordination
- Be responsible for the definition of the overall strategy in collaboration with the coordination team
- Propose and discuss new actions, including needs assessments, reorientation of activities or implementation of new activities
- Ensure global adherence to the general country strategy and provide guidance to the team
- Supervise the preparation of project proposals, reports and other documents requested by donors and ensure the quality and accuracy of documents submitted
- Elaborate and share a continuous analysis of the socio-political and humanitarian context
- Take the lead in defining the operational and advocacy strategy together with the coordination team and the desk officer
- Provide guidance and support to the different departments
- Ensure a smooth collaboration with partners
- Ensure adequate means are available for the smooth running of the programmes
- Ensure the respect of MdM internal rules and obligations
- Be responsible for the compliance with the objectives, rules and procedures related to the grant contracts with donors
- Contribute to the yearly budget framework, justify budget consumption and anticipate amendments
- Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis
- Be responsible for the overall security of the mission in collaboration with liaison officers and field coordinators
- Be the final in-country decision maker in front of national political and security authorities
- Be responsible to validate expats movements inside the country
- Identify and change, if needed, the security phase of the mission with support of the management team, HQ desk and HQ security focal point
- Monitor the security situation in collaboration with the operations manager, ensure reporting on any security incident and regularly update the security guidelines
- Ensure a national security plan is updated and implemented
- Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team
- In close coordination with the different managers, define the general organisation of the mission
- Ensure briefings and follow-ups of teams
- Ensure good information flow and maintain proper communication between the different departments
- Make sure that performance appraisals and annual action plans are regularly conducted for the staff mission
- Ensure recruitments are done based on code of ethics and internal regulations
- Develop capacity building strategy and activities for the mission staff in link with the HR Coordinator
- Ensure regular interaction and collaboration with other humanitarian actors, particularly with medical organizations
- Represent MdM with the authorities and ensure regular communication with stakeholders at central level
- Delegate representation responsibility with coordination team when needed
- Undertake pro-active donor prospection and propose alternative sources of funding for discussion with the HQ, establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
Communication and advocacy
- Ensure the level of visibility and the public messages on the programmes are in line with MdM strategic position
- Be the spokesperson for MdM with local and international media, in coordination with HQ
- Act as focal point for communication and advocacy activities, in collaboration with HQ
- Report regularly and share information with HQ through monthly situation reports
Starting date: June 1, 2021
Based in Sanaa with regular travels to Aden and Ibb
Gross monthly salary: 3 412 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility .