Field coordinator (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
In Nigeria, MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main components: improving access to primary health care, malnutrition treatment, gender-based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support. MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa. MdM is running three clinics in Maiduguri : Garba Buzu, Kawarmaila et El Meskin. A field team has been in place since June 2017 in Damboa local government area and has been running two fixed clinics in two IDP camps. MdM is also supporting two health posts of the Ministry of Health in Azir and Gumzuri villages. At last, MdM has developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacements of population as well as cholera outbreak).
In November 2020, MdM launched a fact-finding mission in North-West Nigeria. This mission aimed at gaining an overall knowledge about the crisis and humanitarian needs in a highly volatile context. This could lead to a scale-up in MdM’s humanitarian operations in the country.
Description du poste
Under the supervision of the general coordinator, you are responsible for the overall management and the different aspects of the implementation of MdM programs in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria. You ensure close collaboration between the different departments.
You directly supervise the logistics and program teams in Maiduguri. You receive technical support from the coordination team that is still currently based in Maiduguri.
Your position might evolve along with the new organogram that is currently under discussion at mission level.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base and all departments
- Create and maintain a team spirit within the different departments and amongst the staff
- Participate in the set-up of the new organogram together with the coordination team
Program implementation and management
- Ensure the implementation of the program and its follow-up in its different aspects
- Assess the needs in the field and adjust the programmes and responses to the needs in collaboration with the coordination team
- Contribute to the definition and revision of the strategy, draw up scenarios and proposals, support budget creation and revision for future or new activities in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments
Logistics, finance and administration
- Ensure projects are implemented in compliance with procedures and guidelines
- Ensure appropriate logistical systems and procedures are in place, maintained and respected (with support from the logistics coordinator)
- Ensure regular communication is maintained between the different departments and act as a mediator when necessary
- Ensure financial needs are well planned (in coordination with the finance coordinator)
Human resources management
- Conduct regular team building activities, ensure the well-being of staff, facilitate and support stress management activities
- Contribute to recruitment and selection of staff under line management
- Be responsible for the disciplinary and grievance procedures of staff under line management
- Carry out performance review as per requirements and procedures
- Ensure all new team members are briefed on arrival in the field and departing team members are debriefed
- Be responsible for capacity building and training of personnel in collaboration with all technical coordinators
- Work closely with the human resources coordinator to ensure proper management of day-to-day issues
- Carry out representation with other NGOs, UN agencies, government bodies, traditional authorities, donors and other parties
- Participate on a regular basis in all relevant meetings and build strong relationships with all partners working in the area
Safety and security management
- Ensure team security and safety in collaboration with the coordination team
- Monitor the political and security situation in the area and brief the security and liaison officer as well as the general coordinator accordingly
- Ensure security guidelines are developed, shared, implemented and regularly reviewed (with the security and liaison officer and the general coordinator)
- Ensure security and incident reports are sent to the security and liaison officer and the general coordinator
- Elaborate coordination reports with the coordination team
- Participate to the writing of proposals and reports to donors
Starting date: March 1, 2021
Gross monthly salary: 3 073 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility .