Medical coordinator (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Yemen since 2007, focusing on delivering of Primary Health Care services in both stable and crisis situations. MdM has a well-established functioning office in Sanaa city, a field office in Yareem district - Ibb Governorate (since 2016) and a field office in Aden to implement activities in Abyan and Lahj governorates (since end of 2018).
MdM is working in partnership with Yemeni Ministry of public health and population to provide full package of primary health care services (including mental health and psychosocial support) in the supported health facilities. MdM is working with communities as well through the community health volunteers and mental health volunteers. Providing health education, screening of under five children for malnutrition and providing mental health awareness/detection services are the main components of MdM medical activities at community level. In addition, MdM is supporting lifesaving referral services to the secondary health care level for critical cases such as women in need for cesarean section due to complicated deliveries or sever acute malnourished children who need to be admitted into hospitals or stabilization centers.
Description du poste
Under the supervision of the general coordinator and in collaboration with the health advisor in HQ (functional link), you are in charge of the implementation, follow up and supervision of the different medical activities in Yemen in coordination with the MdM team and partners (INGO, NGO, health authorities...).
Your main responsibilities are:
• Ensure the consistency of the MdM program
• Prepare and implement medical operational action plan for MdM program in collaboration with coordination team
• Develop and implement evaluation systems, supervise and monitor data collection processes and analyse the medical data on a regular basis and set up corrective measures in case of need
• Develop and implement health surveillance system and give regular feedback on the contextual health situation
• Supervise the medical teams (site visits or in remote) for monitoring the quality of delivered services
• React to any change by adapting the program if necessary
• Perform medical assessments in new identified areas according to the needs and taking in consideration security context
• Ensure integration of different component of the program (mental health and psychosocial support and medical)
• Work with finance department on the elaboration and follow-up of the programme’s budget
• Work in close collaboration with logistic department, especially for medical orders
• Recruit and monitor the performance of the medical team
• Provide technical support to the medical team
• Organise regular meetings, briefings and debriefings with the medical teams
• Train the medical staff according to the identified needs
• Maintain good inter-team communications, engender good team dynamics, and take suitable action when problems occur
• Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes
Medical stock and logistics chain
• Ensure in collaboration with the logistics department that orders for medical equipment, drugs and consumables are appropriate to program requirements and local constraints
• Supervise medical purchase process
• Ensure the supervision of the pharmacist in collaboration with the medical manager
Coordination with partners
• Participate to the different medical meetings especially the health and nutrition clusters and any relevant medical coordination mechanisms
• Establish and maintain strong partnership with national NGOs involved in MdM medical programme
• Establish and maintain good relationship with MoH/DHO to ensure that all project activities are carried out with their agreement
• Coordinate with UN agencies and other NGOs working in the same areas to avoid programme activities overlaps
• Organize regular meetings with governorate/district health authorities and with the community leaders to maintain a full adherence to the MdM medical programme
Reporting and communication
• Participate to MdM internal meetings
• Elaborate monthly sitrep with the coordination team
• Participate in the writing of donor’s activity reports and proposals
• Provide the needed information and available materials for advocacy and visibility on MdM action, humanitarian situation in Yemen.
Starting date on 01/03/2021
Gross monthly salary 3 073 euros
Based in Sanaa with field visits to bases Ibb and Aden
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility