General coordinator Syria (head of mission) - (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
The goal of MdM in Syria is to offer primary health care to the population.
MdM-France mission in Syria is developing new projects and its objectives is scaling up in the coming months.
For security reasons, MdM does not precisely describe geographical areas of intervention.
In Syria, MdM works with partners who are the ones implementing the projects. MdM Syria mission is based in Amman, Jordan and works remotely.
Description du poste
Under the direct responsibility of the desk manager for Syria, you are in charge of developping MdM’s operational strategy in Syria. You are responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donors and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team.
You manage the coordination team: medical coordinator, administration and logistics coordinator and grants and MEAL manager.
Your main responsibilities are:
Management of operations
• Be responsible for planning MdM programs, country strategy, supervising program implementation and the monitoring and evaluation system
• Be responsible for the overall functioning of the mission and for securing and developping current partnerships with national and local authorities (drafting and signing memorandum of understanding and project agreements), with donors, and with other stakeholders
• Supervise the overall implementation of the different program activities in Syria
• Assess continuously and analyse the overall humanitarian situation in Syria
• Ensure that the different components of the programs are consistent and in link with medical needs and standards
• Identify potential new donors and raise funds for the mission
• Be responsible for proposing and designing the amendment of proposals and potential “no cost extension” amendments of the projects
• Ensure operational compliance with MdM and donor policies and project objectives
• Guarantee that the project objectives, as defined by the donors, are fulfilled and that contractual obligations are respected
Finance and administration
• Supervise the design of MdM annual budgets and revised budgets
• Supervise the financial system in order to ensure that the organization finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner
• Take part in the construction of the annual and revised budgetary frame
• Keep on working on the mission and programs registration process with Jordanian authorities
HR and team management
• Manage and supervise international and national staff teams
• Work with the administrative coordination team for quality of the human resources and the working conditions of the entire mission (working contracts, salaries and wage policies, training plan, internal regulation, job description for the staff, disciplinary procedures,…)
• Define collective and individual objectives and goals for the coordination team
• Ensure briefings of any new expatriate arriving on the mission about the mission’s general organisation, its objectives, the context and the mission’s functioning, security rules
Partnership and advocacy
• Be responsible for exploring, designing and establishing partnership relations, direct support in supervising the partnership project and capacity building project activities
• Identify new partners if needed
• Participate in identifying the advocacy goals in country
Representation and fundraising
• Ensure regular interaction, information sharing and collaboration with other humanitarian actors (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs), and in particular with the medical organizations with similar programs
• Participate in the different coordination meetings and clusters
• Carry out negotiations and maintain regular relations with the local authorities and other stakeholders (NGOs, donors, embassies)
• Negotiate agreements, work connections, MoUs etc. with the local authorities and their possible modifications
• Draft and ratify possible reports required by the authorities at national level
• Ensure coordination with national and international health stakeholders, UN bodies and medical actors and with advocacy actors
• Represent MdM with the local authorities and ensure a regular communication with Syrian and Jordanian stakeholders in particular
• Establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
• Ensure that the level of visibility and the public messages on MdM program are in line with the association positioning
• Monitor the security situation, in collaboration with the security supervisor
• Analyze and anticipate security evolutions
• Inform the desk manager and HQ security manager, and the rest of the team, on any security incident or dangerous development in the country
• Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team in Jordan and in Syria
• Propose and enforce new rules or procedures, in reaction to security incidents or to changes in context, in collaboration with the security supervisor
• Manage and report on any security incident affecting MdM staff and assets, if any
• Ensure smooth flow of internal communication among the various parties involved in missions
• Ensure regular and transparent communication between field and HQ (including monthly SITREP)
• Be the spokesperson for MdM in Syria with local and international media, with approval of desk manager
Starting date asap
Gross monthly salary 3073 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
Tuition/Schooling allowance (from 6 years old)
Living allowance (per diem) for the accompanying member if unemployed and half per diem per child
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility