General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde (MdM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM France currently works in 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority thematic areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts and, health and Environment.
MdM France has launched a quick assessment in Bangladesh in December 2016 to explore the humanitarian situation in the country. MdM validated then a gradual intervention in Bangladesh and the MdM mission in Bangladesh opened in February 2017.
From August 2017, a massive wave of population fleeing violence in the Rakhine state in Myanmar crossed the border to find refuge in Cox’s Bazar district in Bangladesh. This unprecedented situation created an emergency humanitarian situation.
After nearly 2 years of emergency activities in Cox’s bazar, MdM has now entered in a new phase and aims at strengthening its response at qualitative level and to become a recognized actor on Gender Based Violence (GBV) and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) through technical support to all non-governmental organizations (national and international) implementing healthcare services in refugee camps, for both host communities and displaced population.
In coordination with relevant national and local authorities, institutional donors and local partners, MdM now wishes to strengthen and develop its operations in the field of Migration, health and human rights, Crises and emergencies, and Mental health and psychosocial support.
Description du poste
Under the direct supervision of the desk officer based in Paris, the general coordinator supervises and coordinates programs implemented by MdM France in Bangladesh in the respect of the safety of people and goods, and in order to guarantee the program’s relevance and its compliance with the predefined objectives.
The general coordinator is responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team. In this specific set up, he/she will have a strong additional focus on developing the financial and administrative set up of the mission.
More specifically, the general coordinator will be in charge of:
- Management of operations
- Planning the MdM programmes, in-country strategy, supervising program implementation and the monitoring and evaluation system.
- Keeping the administrative status of the mission up to date and securing current partnerships.
- Supervising the implementation of all MdM activities in Bangladesh.
- Analysing and assessing the humanitarian situation of migrants in and out of Bangladesh.
- Ensuring that the different components of the program are consistent and in link with medical needs and standards.
- Identifying donors and raise funds for the mission.
- Proposing and designing the modification of proposals and potential no cost extensions of the projects.
- Ensuring operational compliance with MdM and donor policies and projects objectives.
- Guarantying the accomplishment of project objectives defined by the donors iand that contractual obligations are respected.
- Designing MdM annual budgets and revised budgets.
- Ensuring MdM and donor financial and administrative compliance.
- Active funding research at field level: identifying and securing funding for projects.
- Supervising the financial system in order to ensure that the organization finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner.
- Taking part in the development of the project budget together with the Finance Officer based at Paris Headquarters and in the budget’s distribution per heading, and in the construction of the annual and revised budgetary frame.
- Managing the financial and cash flow processes between the HQ and the Bangladesh mission.
- HR and team management
- Managing and supervising the team.
- Ensuring the quality of the human resources and the working conditions of the entire mission.
- Defining collective and individual objectives and goals for coordination team.
- Ensuring briefings of any new expatriates / visitors arriving on the mission about the mission’s general organisation, its objectives, the context and the mission’s functioning, and security rules.
- Partnerships and advocacy
- Exploring, designing and establishing partnership relations, and provine direct support in supervising the ongoing partnerships.
- Exploring partnerships with other MdM chapters present in Bangladesh.
- Participating in identifying the advocacy goals in country.
- Ensuring the implementation of safety rules for the security / safety of people and property on the mission.
- Informing the Desk Officer regularly, and to the security unit if needed.
- Reviewing the analysis of the context and of security & safety conditions.
- Reporting security incidents to HQ in a timely manner. Liaise with the desk officer and security advisor.
- Coordination with stakeholders
- Participating in the different coordination meetings and clusters.
- Carrying out negotiations and maintaining regular relations with the local authorities and other stakeholders (NGOs, donors, embassies).
- Negotiating agreements, work connections, MOUs etc. with the local authorities and the eventual modifications.
- Drafting and validating reports required by the authorities at national level.
- Ensuring coordination with national and international health stakeholders, UN bodies and medical actors.
- Reporting and donor relations
- Ensuring submission of appropriate, timely, high-quality proposals and participating to required donor negotiations in country.
- Maintaining a professional relationship with the donors and ensure visibility.
- Sending monthly reports to the headquarters.
- Responsible for the communication with the head office of MdM; responsible for the quality of the reports on activities and ensures compliance with procedures for the exchange of information and reporting.
- Maintaining desk and RMs updated on a egular basis.
- Ensuring smooth communication flows between HQ and other missions in the region.
- Alerting the HQ in case of particular problems in Bangladesh.
- Supervising the organisation of visits to the field for representatives of the head office and ensuring their management (reception, introduction to different people involved…)
- Facilitating media activities in coordination with desk and HQ media department.
Starting date: December 2nd 2019
Gross monthly salary: 3 042 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility