General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Egypt since 2004 on long-term projects. The first project (2005-2008) aimed at improving reproductive health care access for young mothers and girls living on the street through capacity building and advocacy. The second project (2009-2011) aimed at improving health care access for children in street situations. The objective of the third project (2014-2017) was to improve access to mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) services among most at-risk populations in Greater Cairo, in partnership with the Ministry of Health (MoH) and national NGOs providing psychosocial services to marginalized groups (women victims of violence, street children, children with disabilities, persons living with HIV, etc. and more recently with refugees).
In September 2017, MdM launched a new phase in the programme to protect and promote the mental health and psychosocial wellbeing of refugees, migrants and host communities in Egypt. MdM’s strategy in Egypt to improve access to quality MHPSS for refugees, migrants and host communities is in line with the UNHCR/MoH strategy mainstreaming refugees and migrants into primary health care centres. MdM implements mental health and psychosocial (MHPSS) activities in four target areas where refugees and migrants live in Greater Cairo, structuring its intervention in and around the 12 Primary Health Care Centers (PHCC).
Description du poste
Under the supervision of the desk officer, who is based at HQ in Paris and in close collaboration with the Associative Country Referents (“RMs”), you are responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team.
Mission management and organisation
- Supervise the organisation and administration of the mission
- Ensure that adequate means are available for the smooth running of the programmes - logistics, administrative, financial, HR, etc.
- Ensure legal compliance of all actions undertaken by MdM in Egypt
- Ensure that actions and activities undertaken as part of operations are in concert with MdM internal procedures and ethical principles
- Supervise establishment and follow-up of a coherent archiving system for the mission in order to capitalize on experience in the field
Human Resources management
- Brief international visitors upon their arrival, oversee the smooth running of missions, ensure application and observance of internal regulations governing missions and of humanitarian code of ethics
- Organise and lead regular coordination meetings
Follow-up of programmes
- Implement and update the operational strategy together with the technical team, the desk and the RMs
- Oversee the implementation and the evaluation of projects: field visits, progress review, monitoring workshops, etc.
- Supervise and, whenever relevant, contribute to the drafting of project proposals, as well as interim and final reports and be responsible for the quality of documents sent to the HQ (proposals, reports)
- Prepare monthly reports
- Undertake pro-active donor prospection and, in close collaboration with the HQ, mobilize resources
- Follow up identified potential source of funding for the coming years and develop donors’ portfolio
- Establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
Institutional representation and coordination
- Represent MdM in relations with Egyptian authorities (ministries, institutions etc.) at a policy and decision-making level
- Represent MdM in dealing with other NGOs, the inter-NGO coordinating body, and other coordinating committees
- Be responsible for safety for the whole mission and share information with both staff and head office
- Undertake regular follow-up and propose analysis of developments in the Egyptian context and the regional situation
- Regularly update the security pack of the mission, according to MdM’s requirements
- Internal communication: centralize information coming from both field and HQ and ensure smooth flow of communication (continuous upstream flow/exchange of information, monthly reports, etc.)
- External communication: ensure implementation of the communication and testimony policy as defined in collaboration with the desk and the RMs
Starting date: as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary: 2 984 euro
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
Tuition/Schooling allowance (from 6 years old)
Living allowance (per diem) for the accompanying member if unemployed and half per diem per child
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Punctual teleworking agreement (after 6 months)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility