Field coordinator (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Yemen is currently facing a complex humanitarian crisis as the conflict has exacerbated existing chronic vulnerabilities. Consequently, Yemen is considered as one of the worst humanitarian crisis. The country is affected by many outbreaks such as cholera, diphtheria, dengue fever and malaria. Additionally, the country will likely be very severely affected by the Covid-19 outbreak. Although numbers are still relatively low, it is suspected that cases are widely under reported. Treatment capacities are alarmingly low, and the epidemics could take its toll on the country.
The blockade imposed on the country since 2015 has the effect of suffocating the population, particularly by causing disruptions in the supply of food products; an increase in the price of basic consumer goods, including petrol, which reduces travel options and affects the provision of healthcare services; and finally, the disruption of agricultural and pastoral cycles.
Presently, MdM intervenes in the northern part of Yemen in the governorates of Sanaa, Amanat Alasima and Ibb. MdM strategy is based on 2 key axes:
- To provide primary healthcare services, including OPD, vaccination, nutritional care, sexual and reproductive health through direct support to 11 health facilities
- To provide mental healthcare and psychosocial support (MHPSS) in specific healthcare institutions and via a network of CHVs trained in detection and community awareness-raising
In addition, since 2019, MdM is operating in southern Yemen in 5 health facilities, in Lahj and Abyan governorates. A package of services similar to those existing in the North is provided by the MoH with the support of MdM team. Activities are overseen from Aden.
MdM intends to continue developing its presence in the south in 2021 along two axes:
- Expanding its operational presence in new health facilities in needs of support
- Developing new projects aiming at providing assistance at migrant populations from the Horn of Africa that crosses Yemen on their way to Saudi Arabia.
Under the management of the general coordinator, you ensure the overall supervision of the project team and facilitate collaboration between the different departments. You also ensure smooth implementation of the projects as well as team security and safety, while monitoring the evolution of the local context.
You directly manage the team based in Aden, including a mental health coordinator, a health programme manager, a liaison and security officer, an administration officer and a logistics supervisor among others. You work in close collaboration with the rest of the coordination team based in Sanaa.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base and all departments
- Create and maintain a “team spirit” within the different departments and the staff
Programme implementation and management
- Ensure planning of activities, create adequate tools, facilitate coordination meetings, support team work and communication
- Ensure the implementation of the programme and its follow-up in its different aspects
- Adjust the programmes to the assessed needs in collaboration with the coordination team
- Contribute to the definition and revision of the strategy and drawing-up of scenarios and proposals, and support budget creation and revision
Logistics, finance and administration
- Ensure all projects are compliant with procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical systems and procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to
- Ensure overall responsibility for accurate budget control and financial management in line with project proposals
- Ensure financial needs are correctly planned, in collaboration with the finance coordinator
Human resources management
- Ensure the well-being of team members, conduct team building activities
- Contribute to recruitment and selection of national staff when needed
- Be responsible for disciplinary and grievance procedures when needed
- Carry out appraisals
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival, and departing team members are debriefed
- Plan capacity building and training of national personnel in collaboration with the coordination team and the headquarters
Representation and relations with authorities
- Ensure representation with other NGOs, UN agencies, government bodies, traditional authorities, donors and other stakeholders
- Participate in all relevant meetings and build strong relationships with all partners working in the area
Safety and security management
- Ensure team security and safety in collaboration with the coordination team
- Monitor the local political, military and security situation and update the logistics coordinator and the general coordinator accordingly
- Ensure that appropriate security guidelines are developed, communicated, adhered to, and regularly reviewed with the logistics coordinator and general coordinator
- Ensure timely and accurate security or incident reports are sent to the security and liaison officer
- Elaborate coordination reports in collaboration with the coordination team
- Ensure regular contacts with the general coordinator
- Participate in the writing of proposals and reports for donors
Starting date: December 1, 2021
Gross monthly salary: 3 089 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility.