General coordinator (head of mission) (M/F)
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been working in Iraq since the 1990s and since 2018, MdM has developed a program where activities are gradually handed over to the MoH.
The current program focuses on supporting the local health authorities in providing quality PHC services (including MHPSS and GBV response) and continues to strengthen the capacities of local public health authorities in Dohuk, Kirkuk and Ninewa governorates, to provide quality care and to respond to health needs of IDPs, returnees and vulnerable host communities.
MdM Iraq has identified four main pillars to guide the strategy between 2021-2023:
1. Community health based approach
2. Capacity-building at the DoH level
3. Partnership with local NGOs
Under the supervision of the desk manager at HQ, you ensure that the programs meet operational, administrative, financial, human, material and organisational objectives by coordinating and leading a team. You ensure the deployment of MdM frameworks, policies and procedures and you develop and lead advocacy work and partnerships. You manage directly 12 staffs and the total staff of the mission is around 120.
Your main responsibilities are:
Strategy development, implementation and program coordination
• Initiate and organise continued updating of the mission strategy
• Monitor the humanitarian situation in Iraq and propose and discuss new assessments and interventions if needed
• Actively participate in expanding program funding
• Ensure programs are designed, implemented, monitored and evaluated in line with MdM strategy and policies, ensure global adherence to them and provide guidance
• Ensure the carrying out of the contract of objectives defined with donors and the respect of contractual obligations
• Ensure the national partnership development and support
• Coordinate the negotiations of the Memorandum of Understanding and of other agreements with the national partners
• Lead, coach and guide the country coordination team together with the deputy general coordinator
• Define the mission organization chart and ensure allocation of human resources is matching with the needs
• Manage staff under your direct supervision, ensure objectives are set and appraisals are done
• Ensure the coaching and development of individual staff and teams, training, on the job coaching, supervision, regular feedback and appraisals
• Ensure that MdM's HR management and policies are complying with legal requirements
• Ensure appropriate coordination and communication between departments, coordinators, field teams and MdM HQ
• Represent MdM with the local authorities in Iraq and Kurdistan and ensure a regular communication
• Ensure regular interaction, information sharing and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in Iraq
• Establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
• Ensure that safety and security information is collected, monitored daily, analysed and communicated to HQ
• Ensure the development and implementation of access and security management plans
• Propose and enforce new rules or procedures, in reaction to security incidents or to changes in context
Logistics, administration and finance
• Ensure that MdMs logistical and administrative procedures are in place and monitored, especially for procurement
• Ensure that a procurement plan is prepared and updated for each project
• Participate in the design and approval of new budget proposals for donors, preparation of annual budgets and monthly budget follow-up analysis
• Ensure monitoring and analysis of the monthly budget follow-up for each base and department with respect to donor policies
Advocacy and communication
• Develop and implement MdM advocacy strategy
• Ensure the development and implementation of MdMs communication strategy
• Represent MdM in Iraq with local and international media
Starting date: as soon as possible
Based in Erbil with travels to the field and Baghdad
Gross monthly salary: 3 429 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility