General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
In Asia, the crisis around the welcoming of the Rohingyas is a chronic regional crisis, both in transit and/or destination countries with still active migratory flows. It is therefore fundamental for MdM to develop a regional Rohingyas project, based on operations in the field, and to advocate for access to rights and care for these stateless populations.
In addition to our operations in Bangladesh and based on information collected in Myanmar, MdM now plans to open a country office in Malaysia to support access to healthcare for refugees and especially the Rohingya refugees living in the suburb of Kuala Lumpur.
MdM carried out a first fact-finding mission in March 2020 which confirmed the potential for MdM to open a country office and projects with/for the Rohingya communities.
Therefore, MdM is looking for a general coordinator to open the country office, to establish a good working relationship with relevant authorities, liaise with them to obtain the relevant authorisations, and build operational partnerships with partners pre-identified at the fact-finding mission stage.
Finally, the general coordinator will also explore opportunities to develop a fundraising platform based in Kuala Lumpur covering the whole East-Asia region.
You are responsible for the follow-up of MdM’s registration towards all relevant authorities, the deliverance of the related work authorisations and preparatory work for the opening of operational MdM mission and programmes in Malaysia.
You report directly to the desk manager based in Paris and you also work closely with a board member affiliate (RM in its french acronym).
Your main responsibilities are:
Opening and structuring of the mission
- Analyse the context and potential risks linked to registering and implementing in Malaysia
- Analyse the current legal obligations for an NGO to operate in the country (HR, taxes etc.)
- Liaise with relevant authorities to set up a mission
- Register MdM and follow-up on MdM’s registration to work in Malaysia
- Ensure legal compliance of all actions undertaken by MdM-France in Malaysia
- Propose an organigram of the mission and necessary related resources
- Recruit and manage a national team
- Identify an office space and manage the purchasing of the equipment needed
- Set up all MdM internal procedures: logistics, administration, human resources, finance, reporting, monitoring of activities
- Manage, monitor and review the mission budget
- Propose adjustments, whenever necessary, (to the budget and operations) considering the needs of the mission and according to the operational strategy as approved with the desk manager and the RM
- Take the lead in defining the operational strategy based on the fact-finding mission conclusions
- Liaise with pre-identified partners to design, review and approve project proposals
- Set up and launch operational partnerships
- Participate and contribute to discussions aiming at launching the regional Rohingya programme
- Undertake, within the possibilities, pro-active donor prospection, in close collaboration with HQ, to mobilise resources
- Establish and develop regular contact with potential funding partners
- Contribute to writing project proposals to submit to donors and raise funds
- Assess the potential and the feasibility to launch a regional fundraising platform based in Kuala Lumpur
Representation and coordination
- Represent MdM-France in relation to authorities (ministries, institutions etc.) at a policy and decision-making level
- Represent MdM-France in dealing with other NGOs, the inter-NGO coordinating body, and other coordinating committees, especially in the health sector
Reporting and communication
- Report regularly and share information with the desk manager and the RM
- Centralise information coming from both field and HQ and ensure smooth flow of internal communication: continuous upstream flow/exchange of information, monthly reports, etc.
- Ensure implementation of external communication as defined in collaboration with the desk manager and the RM
Safety and security
- Be responsible for the security and safety for the whole country programme and share information with both staff and head office
- Analyse the context in relation with MdM’s plans, the Malaysian context and the regional/international situation
- Prepare a first draft of the mission’s security plan
Starting date: 01/10/2020
Gross monthly salary: 3 073 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by Modem and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (40 days/year - minimum of 6 months seniority required)
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility