General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
In response to the latest crisis, MdM has been operational in Dohuk Governorate since November 2014, in Kirkuk Governorate since July 2015, and Ninewa Governorate since April 2016, supporting IDPs, returnees and host communities in getting access to primary health care services. Today, MdM delivers a comprehensive health response in areas of intervention, including mental health and psychosocial support at primary care level.
In 2018, MdM has progressively switched its response toward support to the national health system in areas of intervention across northern Iraq. Mobile operations were transformed wherever possible into support within health facilities, in cooperation with local health authorities and the Ministry of Health.
You will be in charge of consolidating MdM’s operational strategy in Iraq. You will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donors and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management but also developing a motivated and professional team.
More specifically, your responsibilities are:
- Ensure global adherence to the general strategy for the Iraqi crisis and provide guidance to the team
- Participate in the definition of the operational plans, be in charge of the coordination of its implementation and the supervision of the activities in a timely manner but also in the respect of MdM ethics, principles and commitments
- Report regularly and share information with the desk manager for Iraq through weekly updates
- Monitor regularly the humanitarian situation in Iraq in collaboration with the coordination team and in case of substantial changes propose and discuss new actions with the team and the desk manager for Iraq and the board delegate for Iraq, including the conduction of need assessments or the implementation of new activities
- Monitor regularly the humanitarian, political and security situation in Iraq; share information and updates with all the persons involved on the project; propose new initiatives or approaches for intervention in Iraq; participate in needs assessments or other preparatory activities if needed
- Coordinate the negotiations of the Memorandum of Understanding and of other agreements with the implementing partners
- In close collaboration with the team of coordinators, ensure the well-being of all team members
- In close coordination with the support service coordinator, supervise the definition of the general organization of the mission and the organization chart and validate appropriate changes in the structure
- Lead the coordination meetings when necessary to maintain an effective communication and cooperation between all departments
- Ensure good information flow with the support service coordinator and technical coordinators as well as field coordinators through regular meetings and ad hoc meetings on specific subjects when needed
- Support and participate in the regular appraisal of the staff under direct management and validate appropriate measures if necessary
- Participate in the recruitment process of the staff under direct responsibility
- Be responsible for the respect of MdM internal rules and of MdM obligations
- Undertake pro-active donors prospection and propose alternative sources of funding for discussion with the HQ and inform HQ about the results
- In coordination with all coordination team, be responsible for the carrying out of the contract of objectives defined with donors and the respect of contractual obligations
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in Iraq (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs) and in particular with the medical organizations with similar programs
- Represent MdM with the local authorities and ensure a regular communication with Iraqi stakeholders in particular in Baghdad
- Establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
- Ensure that the level of visibility and the public messages on the MdM program are in line with the association positioning in Iraq and the region
- Monitor the security situation, in collaboration with the security supervisor
- Analyze and anticipate the security evolutions
- Inform the desk manager for Iraq, the regional security coordinator and the rest of the team on any security incident or dangerous development in the country
- Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team in Iraq
- Propose and enforce new rules or procedures in reaction to security incidents or to changes in context, in collaboration with the security supervisor, field coordinators and support service
- Manage and report on any security incident affecting MdM staff and assets if any
- Ensure smooth flow of internal communication among the various parties involved in missions: regional office in Amman, associative members, Syria mission, etc.
- Act as focal point for Iraq for communication and advocacy activities, in collaboration with the regional advocacy coordinator
- Be the spokesperson for MdM in Iraq with local and international media, in coordination with the desk manager for Iraq and the regional advocacy coordinator
Starting date: as soon as possible
Gross monthly salary: 3 313 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement (after 6 months)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility