General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Since 2011 the conflict in Syria has resulted in massive displacements of population within the country and into neighboring countries, particularly to Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey. Following assessments in these countries, MdM activities started on Syrian borders in May 2012, offering primary and specialized healthcare services for refugees and displaced Syrian populations.
MdM has been working in Lebanon for nearly 30 years and specifically on the response to the Syrian crisis since 2012. MdM’s objective in Lebanon is to offer quality and affordable access to care for Syrian refugees and vulnerable Lebanese affected by this crisis. Currently, primary healthcare services are provided through partner NGOs in 5 primary healthcare centers (PHCCs) in the Bekaa and Mount Lebanon. MdM is also directly implementing a mental health and psycho-social support (MHPSS) program for Syrian refugees and vulnerable Lebanese in 3 centers (in the Bekaa and Beirut). Since 2017, as a complement to its usual activities, MdM in collaboration with Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) has been conducting research studies related to mental health: one to better understand the factors influencing the resilience with Syrian refugee children and another one to experiment a telephoned intervention.
As General Coordinator, you work under the direct supervision of a Desk Manager based in Amman.
You are responsible for the overall management of MdM teams in Lebanon that currently comprise a total of 55 employees. You will directly manage a team of 6 coordinators (two expatriates).
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Ensure proper implementation of MdM strategy in Lebanon and supervise the overall program implementation
- Coordinate and supervise the activities of MdM teams and partners
- Ensure information and communication flow among the team in Lebanon and with the regional office (and HQ when needed)
- Be responsible for the security of MdM staff and assets, in collaboration with the logistics coordinator (acting as security focal point)
- Represent MdM in Lebanon with national and international organizations, local authorities and donors
More specifically, you will be in charge of:
- Lead and coordinate the overall implementation of the country strategy
- Supervise the programs’ implementation and coordinate therefore the inputs from country coordination team
- Report regularly and share information with the regional office in Amman, Jordan and through regular exchanges and monthly reports
- Responsible for communication and advocacy for Lebanon, in collaboration with the advocacy coordinator and relevant staff in HQ and regional office
- Monitor the humanitarian situation in Lebanon, which can include program review and conduction of need assessments and can lead to strategy adaptation or implementation of new activities
- Oversee the Lebanon team (55 staff) and directly manage the 6 coordinators
- Have a coaching approach to strengthen the 6 coordinators’ skills in coordination, accompany them in delegating tasks to their team members and give them a wider view of their position and the mission
- Ensure good information flow and maintain proper written/oral communication between the different departments in Lebanon, through regular team meetings and ad hoc meetings on specific subjects when needed
- Ensure a good team spirit amongst the team
- Support the Lebanon coordination team in the management of the programs
- Supervise a proper and fair implementation of the HR policy
- Conduct the annual appraisals of the coordination team, and validate any disciplinary measure in relation with a team member
- Ensure the respect of:
- MdM internal rules and MdM obligations
- MdM ethics, principles and commitments
- the Lebanese legal environment in collaboration with the administrative coordinator
- Ensure that appropriate logistic, administrative and financial procedures are in accordance with MdM rules and donors’ guidelines
- Contribute, coordinate and validate the yearly budget framework and its revisions
- Develop and lead an effective fundraising action plan in order to ensure the financial coverage of the strategy implementation
- Supervise the timely submission reports to donors (narrative and financial)
- Coordinate the negotiations and the drafting of the partnership agreements
- Responsible to manage the security of the mission and staff
- Monitor the security situation in Lebanon, in collaboration with the logistics coordinator (acting as security focal point)
- Analyze and anticipate the security evolutions and discuss them with the rest of the team
- Inform HQ, regional office and the rest of the team on any security incident or dangerous development in the country
- Ensure respect of security rules by the expatriate staff and the national team in Lebanon
- Propose and enforce new rules or procedures, in reaction to security incidents or to changes in context, in collaboration with the security focal point
- Manage and report on any security incident affecting MdM staff and assets, if any
- Responsible to represent MdM and negotiate with authorities (MoPH, national and local)
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in Lebanon (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs) and in particular with the medical organizations with similar programs
- Ensure the regular participation of a representative of MdM to the most important coordination meetings in Beirut and in the Bekaa, including the Inter-Agency meetings, the Health working groups and the MHPSS task-forces
- Ensure proper representation, meetings and exchanges with MdM partners
- Support the representation by MdM coordinators with the local authorities, including the heads of municipalities, the mukhtars, and other governmental officers when needed
- Ensure that the level of visibility and the public messages on the MdM program are in line with the organization’s positioning in Lebanon and the region
- Be the spokesperson for MdM in Lebanon with local and international media, in coordination with HQ and regional office
Starting date: 15/05/2019
Gross monthly salary: 3 313 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
Tuition/Schooling allowance (from 6 years old)
Living allowance (per diem) for the accompanying member if unemployed and half per diem per child
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Punctual teleworking agreement (after 6 months)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility