Field coordinator (M/F)
Field coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
MdM France has been present in Bulgaria since 2004 with a Roma health mediator program in Sliven, with a specific focus on sexual and reproductive healthcare, and is recognized on local and national level.
Since 2016, MdM is also working with the migrant population. In October 2016, the team has reported extremely poor living conditions in 3 of the 6 Registration and Reception Centers (RRCs) where around 5000 asylum seekers are accommodated. As a consequence, MdM decided to implement a project for migrants transiting through Bulgaria, based on 2 components.
The improvement of access to healthcare through two medical teams providing primary healthcare, sexual and reproductive health and referrals, mainly based in Harmanli with some activities in Sofia.
The coordination and protection of unaccompanied minors, with a team of social workers and translators assessing the needs and referring to relevant organizations.
As the field coordinator you will be responsible of the efficient implementation of the project targeting Asylum seekers in Bulgaria.
Your main responsabilities are to:
Overall implementation of migrants and refugees’ project at field level
- Ensure the proper implementation of the project, in respect with the action plan and activity timetable
- Ensure operational compliance with MDM and donor policies and project objectives
- Ensure MDM and donor financial and administrative compliance in the budgetary follow-up, with the substantive support from the administrative team based in Sofia
- Participate to advocacy activities
Administrative, HR and logistics supervision
- Manage and supervise the project team (2 doctors, 3 social workers, 2 drivers, 1 administrator assistant, 6 translators)
- Define collective and individual objectives and goals for the team
- Participate to recruitments, briefings and follow-up
Coordination with stakeholders
- Carry out negotiations and maintain regular relations with the national authorities and other stakeholders
- Negotiate agreements with the national and local authorities regarding the implementation of the activities in the reception and registration centres
- Facilitate the coordination with health professionals working in different facilities and medical actors
- Ensure submission of appropriate, timely, high quality report
- Ensure the writing of proposals and notably DG Justice grant
- Ensure smooth communication flows between the field teams, the general coordinator, and HQ if needed
- Represent MdM to authorities, UN, NGOs at field and national level
- Supervise the organization of visits to the field for representatives of the head office and ensures their management
Security and context follow up
- Be responsible for the security of the project team with the support of the administrative-logistic coordinator
- Regularly review the analysis of the context and of security & safety conditions
- Ensure security incidents are reported to HQ
Position to be filled as soon as possible.
Based in Sofia with frequent travels to Harmanli.