General coordinator (M/F)
General coordinator (M/F)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 44 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction associated with drug use, emergencies and crisis.
In 2014, MdM decided to start a program targeted the internal displaced people (IDPs) in the KRI region through the support of mobile clinics, fixed health units but also the support to local partners and the Ministry of Health.
Since November 2015, MdM supports through preventives and curatives primary health care (PHC) and mental health and psychological support (MHPSS) activities in 2 camps in Dohuk Governorate. There are three mobile clinics in Kirkuk Governorate providing PHC and mental health services to displaced and host population.
Since March 2016, MdM is running mobile clinics for a PHC & MHPSS care in the newly liberated areas of Sinjar District and in Northern Ninewa.
Aside the previous activities, MdM develops partnership with Districts of Health and national NGOs to enhance the capacity of the local actors to response to medical humanitarian emergencies.
As general coordinator you will be in charge of designing MdM’s operational strategy in Iraq, consolidating the projects started by the emergency team in KR-I. You will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team. You will work under the direct responsibility of the regional operations coordinator, based in Amman.
More in details you will:
- Ensure global adherence to the general strategy for the Iraqi crises and provide guidance to the team
- Participate in the definition of the operational plans, and is in charge of the coordination of its implementation in close collaboration with the deputy general coordinator, and the supervision of the activities in a timely manner and in the respect of MdM ethics, principles and MdM commitments
- Report regularly and share information with the Regional Operations Coordinator through weekly updates
- Monitor regularly the humanitarian situation in Iraq in collaboration with the coordination team and share information and updates with all the people involved on the project; propose new initiatives or approaches for intervention in Iraq; participate in need assessments or other preparatory activities if needed
- Coordinate the negotiations of the Memorandum of Understanding and of other agreements with the implementing partners
- In close collaboration with the team of coordinators, you are responsible for the well-being of all team members
- In close coordination with the deputy general cooordinator and the Human Resources coordinator, you supervise the definition of the general organisation of the mission and the organisation chart, and validate appropriate changes in the structure
- Take part to the coordination meetings when necessary, and liaise with the deputy general coordinator to maintain an effective communication and cooperation between all departments
- Ensure good information flow with the deputy general coordinator and support coordinators through regular meetings and ad hoc meetings on specific subjects when needed
- Are a supportive manager and participate in the regular evaluations of the staff you directly manage, and if necessary validate appropriate measures
- Are responsible for the respect of MdM internal rules and of MdM obligations
- Undertake pro-active donor prospection and propose alternative sources of funding for discussion with the HQ, and inform HQ about the results
- In coordination with the deputy general coordinator, you are responsible of the carrying out of the contract of objectives defined with donors and the respect of contractual obligations
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in Iraq (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs), and in particular with the medical organizations with similar programs
- Represent MdM with the local authorities, and ensure a regular communication with Iraqi stakeholders
- Establish and develop regular contact with funding partners
- Monitor the security situation, in collaboration with the logistician coordinator
- Analyze and anticipate the security evolutions
- Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team in Iraq
- Manage and report on any security incident affecting MdM staff and assets, if any
- Ensure smooth flow of internal communication among the various parties involved in missions: regional office in Amman, associative members, emergency cell members, etc.
- Act as focal point for Iraq for communication and advocacy activities, in collaboration with the Regional Operations Coordinator.
Starting date: 01/02/2018